Loving our Kids with Words of Affirmation
Life is crazy and busy and beautiful, but in the midst of the hustle and bustle, we want to be sure we slow down and fill up our children with words of affirmation. I have read so many articles on this….and what I have taken from them all are some general guidelines to be sure your words are truly genuine and specific so that they will stick. Life as a kiddo can be hard, so we want to be sure that we give our kids constant reminders that they are a loved child of God.
Here are some general things to keep in mind:
Focus on the child’s effort not ability
Do it intentionally and regularly
I enjoyed reading this article and felt the list of encouraging words was focused, specific and helpful. https://www.rootsofaction.com/encouraging-words-for-kids/
Our words have much power, so they will either build up or knock down our kiddos. We need to be intentional when affirming our kids. Keep it simple! Do it often. Some moms/dads even prefer to write them down and keep them handy so that it is a visual reminder to keep filling up our tribe. After reading many articles on this, here is a list of 20 words of affirmation to fill up your kiddos:
- I am so proud of you for….
- I can tell that you have been working hard on…
- I am so proud that you are my son/daughter
- There is no one like you
- You are beautiful/amazing on the inside and out
- You have such a good heart
- You are so kind
- You bless my life each and every day
- You are an amazing friend
- I am so thankful that you are part of our family
- I appreciate all your help
- There is nothing that will ever make me stop loving you
- You have such a fun-loving spirit
- You bring the world around you to life
- My heart smiles whenever you are around
- I love being your mom/dad
- Even when we don’t see eye to eye, I am always on your side
- You have a bright future
- I love seeing you smile
- You are enough
If you are like me, I love reading books to my children….so here is a book that is all about “filling up” on good words: How Full is Your Bucket for Kids by Thomas Rath and Mary Reckmeyer. And remember the scripture is full of words of affirmation for us, so keep those verses handy to share!
Kids are always watching and learning from us. Be a great role model. Show them that you believe in both yourself and them! Be positive and build them up!
Now some words of affirmation for YOU......YOU are and amazing momma!